Queensland P76 Owners Club Inc. 1999

50th Aniversary of Australian Grand Prix

"Leyburn 18th September, 1949 - 99"

Located on the Darling Downs (South Eastern Queensland).
The site of the race track was the unused aerodrome that was constructed by the American Force during the Second World War. The aerodrome strip although covered with dirt and grass is still 98% usuable.
The strip is made up of three straight stretches of tarmac approx 1 1/2 miles long in a tiangular shape. The Speakers at the dedication spoke of trying to run the Grand Prix there again.
The Shire President from "Shire of Clifton" and and a Alderman from the "Warwick Shire" were guests at the unveiling of the Cairn.
Our club was invited to attend the dedication of the cairn (plaque) to those enthusists that raced there in 1949.
Leyburn today is a small counrty hamlet where every year the Historic Racing Car Club Qld holds Sprint over two days
around the town of Leyburn.

Local council members presenting the plaque the members of the Historic Race car club of Qld.
The plaque
The cairn at the track site
Some of the sports cars
Some of the cars that came to the rememberence  day
Historic bus

Leyburn track 1999

The track is now covered in dirt and grass. The track is still 90 % complete and would only require a grader and some maintenance to turn it back into and airfield or race track.

This site is hosted and maintained by

and powered by the Penguin
Last updated
Dec, 2005
This web site may contain Copyright material
If you find any problems with the site, please email the Web Editor